Here are some passages I underlined in my Kindle from last week's Daily Office. I enjoyed reading through everything at one sitting. I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Going for a walk along a scenic river is up there, but I'm sore from doing that for 5 miles yesterday. Columbia, SC has some great walking trails. I'll share some pictures from my iPhone later.
2012 Daily Office from May 27 - June 2
Proverbs 9:1-12...10:1-12...15:16-33...17:1-20...21:30-22:6...23:19-21, 29-24:2...25:15-28
Acts 8:14-25; 1 Timothy 1:1-17...1:18-2:8...3:1-16...4:1-16...5:17-25...6:6-21
Luke 10:25-28, 38-42; Matthew 12:22-32...12:33-42...12:43-50...13:24-30...13:31-35...13:36-43
- ...a babbling fool will come to ruin.
- ...love covers all offenses.
- ...with many advisers [plans] succeed.
- The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD...
- ...the LORD tests hearts.
- Whoever mocks the poor insults his Maker...
- If anyone returns evil for good, evil will not depart from his house.
- A man of crooked heart does not discover good...
- The rich and the poor meet together; the LORD is the maker of them all.
- for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty...
- Be not envious of evil men, nor desire to be with them,
- Like cold water to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.
- ...[it is not] glorious to seek one's own glory.
- A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls.
- Repent, therefore, of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intent of your heart may be forgiven you.
- The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
- ...the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,
- To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
- ...wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith,
- ...know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.
- Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.
- But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
- ...the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will display at the proper time - he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.
- As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.
- Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.
- But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
- I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.
- When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none.
- The kingdom of heaven is like leaven that a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, till it was all leavened.
- I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter what has been hidden since the foundation of the world.
Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
The picture of bread above is by David Monniaux Copyright © 2005.